First Post

My gaming life has gone in waves. Before I moved to Cheltenham, I was mostly running a very long term ancients figure wargaming campaign. However, two years later I still have to find a group that suits me, both in terms of time and location. I have visited a couple of clubs, but neither worked for me.

A long time ago, I ran a very successful series in the world of Moorcock's Elric, using a whole range of printed scenarios and campaigns - basically, whatever was available for any system. I still have fond memories of those games, and I hung onto my library of rulebooks and supplements with the vague thought that they might one day come in useful again.

My kids have never really been interested in gaming, apart from computer and video games, but I suppose I should count myself lucky, since none of them is hooked on violent games. Now, though, they want to try proper role-playing, so I have dug out my old fantasy RPG materials.

The campaign starts in Ilmiora, with a series of events loosely based on a couple of scenario books originally published by Chaosium. I did buy these at the time, and then loaned them out, only for them to vanish into the ether. I managed to source them again now that there is this new-fangled inter webs thingy, so the kids have rolled up a character each, supplemented by one for me. That makes four. You can find the character sheets here.

The plan is to start them off nicely and to take advantage of Blogger to keep a record of their various doings and misadventures. This is not something that was easy to do back in the mists of eldritch time when I was a student, so I'm determined to do it properly this time. This will give them something to do before the scenario books arrive, along with any other materials I'll need. I've already bought new sets of dice and ordered a Chessex megamat from Proud Lion in Cheltenham town centre.

I'll write the storyline from the viewpoint of my extremely helpful (!) character Bomilcar the Steppe Nomad. The next wave is about to begin; here's hoping it's a good ride.

The good thing about doing this is that it has re-ignited my gaming mojo. I'm planning to keep up to date with the various figures I'll need, which will also help motivate me to continue with painting my current ancients army, the ancient Germans. My work life here is very busy indeed, and with no gaming group, I've been losing interest in them.

Time for a refresh.

Comments

  1. Good for you, Paul! All the best with it, and if you’re gaming with your kids, you are a lucky man indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Aaron, it's really good to hear from you. You are also the very first person to comment here!

      Delete
  2. I remember playing games with the Stormbringer rules back in the 80s...great fun.! Good luck with the campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alastair, thanks for the good wishes. We've played three sessions so far, including one for character generation and setup. The players seem to be enjoying it so far!

      Delete
  3. It's great to see a new Stormbringer game being chronicled on the interweb, huzzah! Looking forward to reading your further posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jacques, thanks for looking in on us. We played quite a bit over the winter break, and there's much more to come...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Dam in the Hills

The Halls of Tizun Thane